Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Goodbye Gilmore Girls

Ever since my new job we have had to save our babysitters (my mom and Ingvild) time for Sunday mornings and when I need to go to the office on Friday when Rod and I both work. Because of this I can't quite remember the last time we have gone out on a date. However I'm not feeling sorry for myself one bit because we have found ways to be creative with our quality time together. Actually Ingvild has offered to watch my kids in addition to my work time but I often turn her down because I don't feel like this area is neglected.

One of those ways is staying up way too late after the kids go to bed watching The Gilmore Girls. Last night we watched the final episode. 7 seasons, 154 episodes and a little over 4 months later completed. Oh how I loved this show. By the end of the first season we would talk about these characters like they were part of our family. Even Rhett knew most of them by name. My favorite part of the show is how they depict the relationship between mother and daughter shown through the two main characters Lorelai and her daughter Rory Gilmore but also between Lorelai and her mother Emily Gilmore. Each time I watched this show I was reminded of the gift it is to be a mother as well as a daughter. In a small way this show even inspired me to move forward with my current job. Maybe those are some of the reasons I cried like a baby last night watching the final episode. Actually it was probably just hormones but I like to think this show left it's mark on me. Regardless I will miss my late nights with the Gilmore Girls and the rest of their quirky cast but at least now I can catch up on some sleep or maybe go out on a real date.

No comments: