Monday, June 30, 2008

Shut Your Trap

Some people need to learn how to hold back on their words once in awhile. Why do we need to talk so much or share our opinion so freely? Being a mom now for five years I have come to learn the unspoken rule that most normal moms share. We don't tell eachother how to be a mom of their kids. I only know how to be a mom of two kids.....MY KIDS. My kids, my situation is different from every other mom I know or will know. The only thing I know about other moms is their job is HARD, VERY HARD and most likely they are doing the very best they possibly can and that is good enough. It has to be good enough. What other choice do we have. I believe moms should be learning and growing continually to be better at probably one of the most important roles we will have in our life.

How can we learn from others. I think it depends on the spirit of the messenger and the receiver. I have no problem with people encouraging me on this mom journey. I need it and welcome it. However if you're going to do this than please 1. know me first 2. say it in love and only if it's with genuine encouragement. I know right away when someone has passed on wisdom to me or judgment. The first one inspires me to change and be a better mom. The second one ususally causes me to feel defeated, or irritated and most likely take out those feelings on my kids.

I felt judged today. Some people need to shut their trap!

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow that is my first thought. Second praise God I didn't see you today so I am sure I haven't offend you. Judgment is a hard thing I have felt very judged in my parenting. I encourage you that you are a wonderful mom. People often only see small moments of our days.

Kara said...

Did I see you today? No I don't think I did! I also think you are a wonderful mom. Do you want me to beat someone up for you?

Lauren Faiai said...

HAHA!! Anyone who's going to comment on this post, knows exactly how you feel!! When this happens,I just try to remember...people who have the audacity to try to correct your parenting (especially when they don't know you)are just dumb and have a lot of nerve!! I've actually experienced a lot of this in finding the right therapists for Riley. I like the ones who teach me, but not the ones who make me feel stupid in my every interaction with my kids!! Ugh...you just got me all fired up again!! Preach it, WOMAN!

Becky said...

Sorry you experienced that. You are an awesome momma. It's hard for me to take any of that even from people who do know me & are telling me to be constructive.